- Professionally drawn to scale with very accurate detailing.
- Ships are individually named
- Country flags are printed on the unit for easy recognition.
- Images are printed for you on adhesive backed Matte finish paper that is both tear and water resistant. This paper is very durable and can be handled frequently without damaging the image.
- These sheets must be cut and applied to the wood bases by you.
- The bases are made from 1/8 inch thick plywood.
- There are 11 different base sizes. Each ship/plane is given a base relative to it’s scale.
1 x 1 – 1.5 x 1.5 – 1 x 1.5 – 2 x 1 – 2 x 1.5 – 3 x 1 – 4 x 1 – 4.5 x 1.25 – 5.5 x 1.5 – 6 x 1.5 – 6.25 x 1.5
- Battle sets and individual unit sales are available at 1/8000 scale (Planes are 1/600 scale)
- We have recently introduced some smaller sets of 1/2400 and 1/3000 scale. These sets do not have corresponding bases available from us. We only can provide the images, but they are printed on the same adhesive backed paper and are the same exact images as the 1/1800 scale product.
- Currently only the WWI Jutland sets are available in the 1/2400 and 1/3000 scale.
- Bases for the 1/2400 and 1/3000 can be created from a number of different materials of the users choosing.
- Individual unit sales for 1/2400 and 1/3000 are not available.
Instructions for Plywood Base Kit
Here is a step by step visual guide to Assembling Your Topside Minis With Plywood Bases.
- Comfortable Work Space
- Good Lighting
- Sharp Scissors and/or Wheeled Paper Cutter
- Exacto knife for trimming (Optional)
What You Need to Assemble the Kit
Step One: Cutting the Images
You can save time by cutting several minis sides at once on each sheet as shown below. This will reduce the number of total cuts you need to make.
Cut on the black line for best results. If you are worried about making a mistake, make your cut towards the outside of the black line. You can trim it after you apply it the wooden base.
Step Two: Applying Image to Base
Once your images are cut, organize them by size and match them up with a wooden base of the same size.
After peeling off the backing, apply image to the base. Start at one corner and attach flush this the base edge.
Apply the opposite corner to the opposite edge making sure the bottom of the image is aligned with the bottom of the base. If it is not lined up correctly you can peel it off and start again. This is very durable vinyl adhesive.
Once you are happy with the alignment, press down on the entire image to secure it to the base.
If after you are finished you feel that some of the units have images that over hang the base, you can trim them with an Exacto knife. On a surface you can cut on, flip the base with the image side down and run an Exacto knife along the edges to cut off any over hanging part of the image.